Analytics: Warrior I
Sanskrit, Virabhadrasana I
- Strengthens arms, back, legs, and ankles.
- Opens hips and chest.
- Improves focus, balance & stability.
- Leg and back injuries.
- Narrow stance; bring feet closer together.
- Arms can be straight up, arched bending head slightly back, fingers clasped or holding elbows behind back.
- Lower knees to floor
Steps; From Mountain
- Both feet on the earth, front foot 90 degrees facing front, back foot 45 degrees.
- Back thigh engaged
- Line of energy from the solar plexus up core of body and out extended fingertips.
- Heart lifted and open
- Take a big step back with right foot placing foot at 45 degrees.
- Engage abdomen, slightly tuck of tail
- Bend left front knee directly over left ankle
- Square the hips, possibly moving right hip (Back leg) a bit forward.
- Reach both arms up reaching toward sky
- Engage the right (back) thigh.
- Lift heart
- Switch sides
Engage Bandhas & Breath
- Heels of feet aligned or have line from front heel through the arch of back foot.
- Hips squared
- Front knee directly over front ankle.
Coming Out of the Pose
Release hands down, straighten front leg, walk legs together to standing position.