Steps to practice
- Activates Ida Nadi.
- Increases oxygen in the body.
- Relieves stress & anxiety.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Improves respiratory function.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Cools the body
- Triggers the parasympathetic nervous system
- Activates Intuition
- Respiratory disorders
- Very low blood pressure
Piercing the Moon
Chandra means moon and represents the yin qualities of the Ida Nadi. Bhedana means "To pass through" "To pierce" "To awaken" Meaning the Breath passing through the moon energy. Fills the Ida Nadi with Prana, activating the lunar channels in the pranamayakosha (energy body). The Ida Nadi begins at the root chakra on the left side of the tail bone spirals up the Sushumna Nadi and ends at the left nostril.
Position: Seated, cushion, chair, block.
- Use the vishnu mudra in right hand and close off the right nostril with your thumb.
-Inhale, breathing gently and deeply through the left nostril.
- Use the finger to close the left nostril (Both nostrils closed) and hold the breath for a comfortable pause.
- Release the thumb and exhale out the right nostril (Keeping the left nostril closed)
- Suspend the breath naturally at the bottom of the exhale.
-Repeat for a 5-10 breath's.
- Engaging the bandhas while retaining the breath.
- Bring your awareness to the right side of the body during breath retention.
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama